Female representation has increased to 28.3 percent, with 30 of the 106 Commission Members being women for the upcoming 2018-2021 period.
The Commission Chairs are as follows:
- Olympic Games – Chair Mr Yury YURIEV (RUS)
- Marketing & Communication – Chair Mr Mihai Claudiu COVALIU (ROU)
- EYOF-European Youth Olympic Festival – Chair Mr Jose Manuel ARAUJO (POR)
- European Union – Chair Mr Jüri TAMM (EST)
- Environment & Sport for All – Chair Mr Gilad LUSTIG (ISR)
- Olympic Culture & Legacy – Chair Ms Susanna RAHKAMO (FIN)
- Medical & Anti-doping – Chair Dr Klaus STEINBACH (GER)
- Gender Equality in Sport – Chair Ms Sarah KEANE (IRL)
In addition, a Working Group named Olympic Academies has been set up, chaired by Ms Gudrun Doll-Tepper (GER).
“The make-up of our Commissions is a reflection of our continued commitment to Olympic Agenda 2020, which among other proposals, calls for greater participation of women and increased universality,” said EOC President Janez Kocijančič. “With such a diverse and experienced group of EOC Members running the Commissions, we are confident that the core beliefs and key initiatives of the EOC will be well served over the next four years.”
The Athletes Commission, chaired by Estonian Olympic Winner Mr Gerd Kanter, was elected last October in Monte Carlo and its Members will serve as Athletes representatives in each of the new Commissions.
The Commissions mirror the key focus areas the EOC will pursue over the next four years. A Legal Affairs Commission is currently in the process of being established, and its members will be announced soon.
The Commissions, composed of members with expertise in the respective fields, are advisory bodies to the EOC Executive Committee and will be in force for the period 2018-2021.